Congratulations to Nzinga Salcedo-Hutchinson, our November Intern of the Month!
Since starting her Marketing internship on August 24th, 2015, Nzinga has had the task of learning not just the world of marketing but also the demanding role of being a YOakleyPR Marketing Project Manager. During her internship, Nzinga has proven to be a natural born leader. Nzinga is engaged in the continuous learning process and consistently displays strong leadership and engagement with her teammates.
In addition to learning about Online Marketing, Search Engine Optimization and Google AdWords while interning at YOakleyPR, some of her other accomplishments include:
- Working with the online marketing team to create Google AdWords campaigns for nonprofit organizations enrolled in the Google Ad Grants program.
- Developing marketing strategies and proposals for registered nonprofits and 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations.
- Seeking thought-leading content and post material as appropriate on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and other social networks.
Congratulations, Nzinga! Your efforts have paid off. You will be receiving a $25 visa gift card in the mail, plus a little something extra to put on your resume. Keep up the good work!
Here are some of the wonderful things that her peers had to say about her:
“Nzinga is a perfect example of an intern of the month because she does a great job with training other interns and making sure they are on track with their projects.”
“She has learned to manage her time wisely, has send out email campaigns and become familiar with WordPress.”
“She has gathered her team and has displayed great leadership qualities.”
“Nzinga acquires new leads almost every week and fills in for other interns when they cannot complete an assignment or project.”
When we caught up with Nzinga, here is what she had to say about her internship and her award:
“I would like to thank those who nominated me. I appreciate their recognition and thoughtfulness. I don’t have one mentor in particular, but if you listen carefully and pay attention, anyone can teach something valuable in one way or another. I am influenced by Amanda Palmer’s music and philosophy, and her TED talk, which everyone should check out. I am torn between two dream places to live: Stowe, Vermont, and the Florida Keys. They are as opposite as they could be, but both bring me a lot of peace.”
“I joined the internship because my marketing degree was based more on research and I wanted hands-on experience. I currently work for a healthcare market research company, and am excited about getting more involved in the nonprofit sector. The most fascinating tool I’ve learned about is AdWords. It amazes me the incredible ideas that Google comes up with to help people and organizations. The concept to the tool is also fun, sort of like a game to get the most hits for your terms. The internship also cemented my respect for those involved in marketing and PR. The amount of effort that goes into networking, keeping in touch, convincing clients to listen to beneficial ideas, and constantly keeping up with technology is immense.”
Fast facts about Nzinga:
- Speaks Spanish and French
- Recently graduated from George Washington University with an MPH in Public Health Communications & Marketing
- Was awarded Sheriff Office Employee for the Quarter as a Fire Telecommunicator for the Volusia County, FL Sheriff’s Offices
- Is Influenced by Amanda Palmer’s music and philosophy, and her TED talk, which everyone should check out.
- Is a women’s soccer fan and favors the DC spirit
- Is a member of Greenpeace, the Sierra Club and the International Social Media Association (iSMA)
- Favorite book: Margaret Atwood’s The Year of the Flood, because in a time where dystopic novels are a gimmick, Nzinga says it taught her a lot about surviving tough times, and it was really imaginative and interesting.
Bucket list item: I’d love to go to the next FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019
Connect with Nzinga
# # #
If you would like to learn more about the virtual internship program at YOakleyPR, please visit our “Internships” page for more information.